.quickedit{display:none;}

Saturday 8 December 2012

What Would Hays Think? Top 15 Questionable Movie Posters


In a time of ‘supposed’ self-imposed censorship, Precode posters seemed more racy and provocative then the films they advertised. Anxious to increase box-office profits during The Depression and the years of economic standstill, production companies used the simple and effective philosophy: ‘Sex Sells’ in the movie posters and advertisements of the early 1930’s. Below is the top 15 most provoking:  

15. Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933)

 
 
 
14. White Woman (1933)


13. Tanned Legs (1929)
 
 
12. Ex-Lady (1933)

The beginning of Bette’s illustrious career and a film that probably increased her hatred for Jack Warner.


11. Melody Cruise (1933)
 
 
10. Roman Scandals



9. Strictly Dishonorable (1931)


8. The Story of Temple Drake (1933)


7. Employee's Entrance (1933)


6. Wild Women of Borneo (1931)

I haven’t seen this film but I am assuming it is pure Precode exploitation masquerading as an educational documentary.  

5. The Mind Reader (1933)
 
 
4. Bad Girl (1931)
 
A nomination for the Best Picture Academy Award in 1931.  
 
3. Bitter Tea of General Yen (1933)
Apparently the girl in the picture is Barbara Stanwyck but I don’t see much of a resemblance.

 
2. Girl Without a Room (1933)
 
 
 1. Sin of Nora Moran (1933)
Admittedly, I haven’t seen this film either; however, going by this poster it looks interesting.

1 comment:

  1. These posters are most awesome -- I've never seen most of these! (And I had to laugh at number 6 - when I was little and my hair was a mess, my mother would say I look like the Wild Woman of Borneo!)

    ReplyDelete